Once upon a time, cruise trips were expensive and only millionaires could afford them. However, that is no longer the case.
Today, an average Joe can enjoy the delights of a cruise trip, without having to sacrifice all his savings.
What is the cost?
Normal cruise trips cost around $100-$500 per person, per day, while luxurious cruise trips can easily cost over $1500 per person per day.
Here are three factors that influence the price tag of a cruise vacation:
1) Facilities offered – Some cruise packages offer only the basic facilities such as a shared-cabin, onboard entertainment and three meals a day. Such cruise trips cost around $100-$400 per person, per day.
Cruise packages that offer more luxurious facilities such as Shore excursions, a private cabin, a private dining room and high-speed internet can cost upwards of $1000 per day, per person.
2) Cabin location – An inside cabin is located towards the center of the ship. It doesn’t have a private balcony and you will not be able to see the sea from it.
An outside cabin is located at the sides of the ship. It will have a balcony and windows that open up to the sea. Outside cabins are more expensive than inside cabins.
3) Company – The price of a cruise trip will depend upon the company you choose. It’s entirely possible for two packages offering the same facilities, from two different companies, to have different prices. Generally, cruises that have a large number of passengers offer lower prices.
Cruise trips have a lot of extra costs. An average person will spend up to 50% of the cruise fare on extra facilities. For example, if your cruise fare is $500, your total cost for the trip (cruise fare plus extra facilities) is likely to be around $750.
1) Private dining room – Sometimes private dining is included in the package itself, but most of the time, you will have to pay for it. If you use a dining hall other than the main dining hall, be prepared to pay-up at the end of the trip.
2) Photographs – Your photograph will be taken by professional photographers during special moments such as when dancing, boarding the ship, enjoying the sunset etc. You can view the photographs free-of-charge, but if you will have to pay, if you want them.
3) Shore Excursions – You can buy guided shore excursions at ports-of-call. The price for these excursions will depend on the length of the stay and whether any meals were included. They can cost upwards of $20.
4) Alcoholic Beverages – Although meals are included in the cruise fare, you will have to pay for alcoholic beverages. Some cruise lines allow you to bring your own wine bottle aboard, but you will have to pay a corkage fee of $10.
5) Souvenirs– There will be several souvenir shops around the ship. You can buy a few souvenirs to help you remember that memorable holiday you had.
Tips to Save Money:
There are some things you can do to decrease the costs of cruise vacation:
1) Avoid Alternate Dining –If you are working on a budget, you may wish to avoid dining in private dining halls.
2) Self-guided Shore Excursions – When your cruise liner stops at the ports, you have the option of taking shore excursions by yourself. If you familiar with the place, this is a good idea.